I have a weakness for Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Covered Caramels. When I was pregnant with Wesley I got on this huge chocolate kick and often wanted chocolate with caramel, so these candies were perfect, and I still get them occasionally as an after-dinner treat.
Their only downside (besides the obvious caloric one) is that the chocolate flakes off easily when bitten, and there were several occasions in which I would go to change into my jammies after dessert and realize that I had chocolate bits melted on my décolletage or on my face.
Last night, however, took the cake.
We had the lights mostly off in the living room so we could watch some episodes of Veronica Mars. (Season 2, no spoilers please, am now in love with Logan Echolls.) Wesley needed to eat, so I sat on the couch and nursed him while munching on a caramel.
After the episodes were over, Daniel started playing his new video game. During a particularly bright sequence that lit up the room a bit, I noticed something weird about Wesley’s face.
“Oh gross. What in the world.” I thought. “BUGS? WHAT.” And then…
He was COVERED in chocolate. My caramel had flaked chocolate bits all over his face, where they had instantly melted. It was in several spots on the side of his head, all across his cheeks, there was a big spot on the underside of one arm, a tiny one on the back of his onesie, and traces of chocolate smeared near his mouth. I was horrified.
And then I started laughing uncontrollably. Daniel was like, um, what is going on over here? And I was like LOOK AT OUR BABY, LOOK WHAT I HAVE DONE TO HIM.
And I am not going to tell you whether or not I cleaned him by smooching the chocolate off his face.
(He was delicious.)
I would have died laughing. I also just would have kissed & tickled it off of him before bathing him.
That’s totally cute.
Missed opportunity: going OM NOM NOM NOM NOM while “cleaning” the chocolate off?