March 18, 2010 12:13 pm

36 Weeks – Induction

We’re going to have our baby this weekend. (!!!) Crazy! I got a phone call yesterday that said my labs and blood pressure are still crap and we need to get this baby delivered so we can both recover. I have a bit of protein in my urine, my platelet count (liver function) is dropping, and my uric acid (kidney stress) is up. Eeep! At this stage they’re still calling it “mild pre-eclampsia” instead of “severe” but we do not want it to get “severe,” hence the induction.

I am still kind of freaking out. When the midwife was explaining it all to me it made sense, but then I was like, “So… what’s the timeline for all of this? Within the week?” and she was like, “You could come in tonight if you wanted.” And I was like ACK NO NO NO! I need time to process this! AUGH!

My alternative was to repeat the 24-hour urine test and keep my Friday morning appointment and repeat my bloodwork then. They weren’t super stoked on that idea because they may or may not have my test results by the time of my appointment, they want to induce me anyway so I really wouldn’t be buying myself any more time, and they’d have to call me back with my bloodwork results later in the day, just to tell me to go to Labor & Delivery at the hospital.

To compromise, I volunteered to start the 24-hour test late yesterday, so that I could turn it in today and we could have the results by my appointment. The midwife was like, “Ah… yes, and we could have the lab run your bloodwork when you turn in your test instead of us taking it on Friday… I think this will work.” So! I am collecting my pee in a jug again but I didn’t have to go deliver a baby yesterday as a surprise, so I think it’s a good tradeoff.

Less than ideal

During the explanation, the midwife was like, “So, looking at your chart, this is probably not the birth you wanted or expected to have.” and I was like, “HA. No.” I’m still trying to deal with that, honestly. I really, truly believe in the power of women’s bodies to do what they need to do in labor and I’m pretty bummed I won’t even get the chance to have the sort of birth I wanted.

I’m not anti-pain-meds, but I did want to attempt a natural birth and was pretty confident I could do it as long as I didn’t receive Pitocin to jumpstart or augment labor. If I had to get Pitocin, I said, all bets are off and I will probably get an epidural. I also didn’t want constant monitoring or an automatic IV, all of which I’m basically guaranteed as part of an induction. Plus, induction carries a higher risk of a c-section because you’re making your body do something it’s not ready for (and something the baby isn’t ready for) so things can go downhill pretty easily.

I’m just… upset, I guess, that this is all happening so fast and I don’t really feel like I have a lot of say in the matter. I’m proud of myself for asking to bump up the 24-hour test (they like to start it in the morning, but since it’s a 24-hour test, that 24 hours can technically start at any point) so THANK YOU to my labor & delivery nurse mom who suggested that I ask for that. Otherwise, I just feel like a lot of this is out of my control and it makes me nervous.

The Plan

I am going in for my appointment on Friday morning, at which point I fully expect to be sent off to L&D at the hospital to begin my induction. Mom said that the first day will likely be really, really boring and uneventful while they try to adjust the meds they’re giving you to start labor. Since I’m a first-timer and am a month early, we’re betting that the induction will not be super fast/easy since my body just isn’t ready yet.

Best case scenario, my body takes to the induction really well and we have a baby by Friday night or early Saturday. The more likely scenario is that it doesn’t work right away and they have to continue to try to induce Saturday and I deliver late Saturday or early Sunday. Worst case scenario, Baby and I don’t take to the induction at all and they have to whisk me away for a c-section. Let us all hope this is not the case.

The hospital keeps you post-birth for about 48 hours, so depending on timing I could be in the hospital until Tuesday or so. I am bringing my laptop and camera(s) so we should be able to update everyone on progress and the eventual baby.

(I bet you are all dying to know his name. Heh. So are we.)

File Under: ,

Tagged: No tags


  • Tracy says:

    Woot :star:
    Good luuuuuuuck with everything!

  • Clem says:

    Oh my gosh, so soon! I hope everything goes well. <3

  • Melissa says:

    Good luck! I’d be freaking out, too, but I’m sure you’ll do fine! I can’t wait to see photos!

  • Melissa says:

    OMG. I can’t imagine how crazy this is for you guys… it’s like lalala-OHAIBABY. D: Quite yay of course but still wow! Definitely don’t blame you for needing some time to process. I think I’d be feeling the same way if I was in your shoes… nervous because of the lack-of-control thing.

    I’m totally going to keep you in my thoughts this weekend, Meggan, I hope your delivery is as smooth as possible and you and Baby stay safe and happy. Can’t wait to meet him. <3

  • Kerri Anne says:

    Oh, Meggan! I’m sorry it’s not happening the way you originally planned, but I hope it all goes smoothly and I’m seriously a phone call (or text!) away if you need anything. I mean that, and I’ll be thinking of you guys tomorrow! Hang in there babe. I can’t wait to meet your little peanut.

  • Nicole says:

    Good luck, I hope everything goes fantastic and the little guy joins your family quickly. Good thing you got your baby shower out of the way last weekend :)

  • Vixx says:

    I know that it’s frustrating that things haven’t gone to plan, but all that matters is that you and baby come out the other side of this safe, happy and healthy. Remember: no matter what happens, you did the right thing. Keep that at the forefront of your mind!

    Can’t wait for your next update. I’m so excited for you both!

    V xx

  • Jem says:

    Got my fingers & toes crossed for you Meggan! :)

  • Lizzie says:

    Aaah, how exciting!! ^^ How scary though, wow! I can’t wait to hear all about it, and see pictures!!

  • Caity says:

    Oh, I am so excited and I cannot believe the day is here already! I will keep you in my thoughts and I really hope everything works out the way you want it to, hun!

  • Erin says:

    Best wishes, dear! :D

  • Katy says:

    oh wow… best of luck! Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible :)

  • Freya says:

    GG!!!!! I’m so excited for you guys :). I’ve been following you here an there although I’ve been bad about actually commenting etc. I hope everything goes well! Hoping for best case scenario for baby and mommy!

  • Kaylee says:

    I hope it goes well and a c-section isn’t needed!

  • Teresa says:

    Good luck!

  • Gretchen says:

    Wishing for good numbers! Love you!