Categories: ,

May 30, 2019 1:06 pm

DIY Fluorescent Light to Flush-Mount

When we bought our house in 2015, the hallway lighting situation was grim: an old, painted-over inset fluorescent light was the only light source. It took several seconds to come to full brightness once it was turned on, and it looked very dated. I wanted a regular flush-mount light in its place. I had been… Read more > 1 Comment >

April 30, 2019 9:21 am

Hallway Closet Update

As part of my ongoing “small-improvements-can-have-big-impacts” updates to the house, I made a few changes to our hallway closet that have really improved its functionality. The refresh actually began when I discovered that a mouse had been having a grand old time in the closet eating all the kids’ leftover halloween candy. It had left…… Read more > Comments Off on Hallway Closet Update

April 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Matte Black Doorknobs

One of the very first things we updated in our house after we bought it were the outlets and switches, taking them from the original dirty-looking almond to bright white. I think my dad thought I was bananas to focus on those right away, but it made such a huge difference in how fresh and… Read more > Comments Off on Matte Black Doorknobs

July 16, 2015 1:06 pm

DIY Whitewashed Floors

When we bought our house, the living room floor was painted this weird dark yellowy-green color. It wasn’t the worst, but it also wasn’t my taste and really, half the fun of owning your home is getting to update it to something you like. Before: Thus, we embarked on a DIY floor refinishing project despite… Read more > 1 Comment >

July 11, 2015 8:14 pm

We got the house!

After some back and forth where I felt like we made a lot of concessions and the seller made very few, we closed on our house June 15th! Since then, it’s been a whirlwind of painting, babyproofing, and DIY floor refinishing, a topic on which I have a nice big post prepared. I’m hoping to… Read more > 1 Comment >

May 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Adventures in homebuying

Renting is kind of insane in my hometown – it’s often cheaper to purchase a home than it is to rent one. We got preapproved for a loan recently and while our monthly payments would be higher than what we’re paying right now, they’re several hundred dollars cheaper than it’d be to rent a house…. Read more > 5 Comments >