All of a sudden there’s been this huge influx of people calling me “Megg.” Now, don’t get me wrong, under the right circumstances this is perfectly okay. Some examples:
1. My friend Jeremy accidentally referring to me as “Megg” since his sister’s name is Megan and that’s what he calls her.
2. Heidi and Meagan and other people I am close to referring to me as “Megg” because, well, we are close.
3. Asking my permission to call me “Megg”
However, there are a few circumstances in which it I feel it is not okay to arbitrarily shorten my name:
1. When I barely know you and you begin calling me that from day one as if that’s how I introduced myself
2. When I don’t like you
3. When you have previously been under fire for calling me another nickname I was uncomfortable with
4. When I just know that in your head, you are spelling it with one g and not two. (I’m only sort of joking.)
I mean, in the grand scheme of things, this is no big deal. But why would you just start shortening someone’s name as though that’s how they refer to themselves? I can see in the case of Jenn or Jem, because yes, they have full names and they do go by those sometimes, but the key here is they also refer to themselves by their abbreviated names. I almost never write “Megg” on anything. I can’t even recall if I’ve ever done it.
This arbitrary name-shortening thing happened at least three times today. Twice in person, once in writing. Seriously, what is going on?