December 20, 2005 10:32 am
The train ride was… interesting. Some highlights/lowlights:
- The guy next to me who had a flask, and then a coffee thermos filled with (I think) wine, who nervously asked if the train rocked this much all the time, and then suggested they have doggie bags for you in the seats like on airplanes.
- Same guy who creepily mumbled things in his sleep.
- People in front of me who watched Family Guy on a laptop at 3:30am with no headphones and laughed uproariously.
- Finally having an iPod with which to drown them out.
- The train being held up in Spokane for two and a half hours instead of a little under an hour.
- The fact that during the wait in Spokane, the indoor temperature of the train was probably no more than 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The nice man (who had to switch seats with some lady so she could sit with her kid) who said he was going to the lounge car and I was free to borrow his blanket.
- Flask Guy calling some man a “dickhead” behind his back simply because he was carrying a lot of stuff. I wanted to kick Flask Guy for being such an asshole. He just seemed really pretentious and said things like, “Ugh, I knew I should have flown.” when we stopped for five minutes to let a freight train go by.
- My family remembered to pick me up, and the truck was really, really warm.
- I’m home!
File Under: General